Simple tips on Finding the Right Childcare
Posted on Oct 11 2011 at 11:27:43 PM in Education
Finding the perfect child care service can be a daunting and stressful experience for any parent or caregiver.For whatever the reason you are choosing child care it is important that you feel 110% right about the service you pick.
Here are some simple tips on how to make the decision easier:
- Think about what type of service you are wanting. There are many types of early childhood education facilities, each offering a different service, environment and philosophy. Some to consider are, Kindergartens, Preschools, Home based care, Language Nests, Montessori Centers or a Nanny. (Click on our resource button to learn more about these services)
- Choose a time which you know activities and the daily programme will be in full swing such as mid morning. This way you can see how the centre operates at its busiest.
- Once there take time to consider every aspect of the place. Is it light, clean, warm and inviting?
- Are the children engaged in meaningful activities with age appropriate resources, their peers, or teachers? Are the children/adults calm and happy or does it feel busy and overwhelming?
- Think about what you value as a parent. Values important to you could include, religion, discipline, diet, recycling and sustainable living…whatever it is be sure to ask about it… ASK ASK ASK!
- Gain the confidence to talk to teachers about how long they have worked there. It is important to know that there isn’t a high staff turn over. Happy teachers = happy children!
- Check the ratios of the environment. Some services push the limits of adult to child ratio to cut the cost of employing more staff. (Do a count up in your head if you think it feels to busy)
- Try to talk to other parents to get advice, you are all in the same boat!
- Do you feel you would like to stay for the morning, day or afternoon? If you don’t then your child probably wont either.
- DO NOT RUSH the process! Remember some places have long waiting lists, give yourself time to make the right decision.I hope these tips are of some use.