Ideas for Earth Hour
Posted on Mar 30 2012 at 12:57:03 PM in Earth & Geography
March 31st 2012 between 8.30 and 9.30 pm EST is Earth Hour when everyone is encouraged to turn off the lights, power down and save energy. This is a great time to get together with family, friends and neighbours. Together you could :
1. Hold a candle lit pot luck super.
2. Stargaze. Have blankets, gloves and scarves set out on lawn chairs.
Keep warm with drinks of soup and or hot chocolate. Prepare these in
advance and keep them warm in labelled thermos flasks.
3. Host a glow in the dark party (use stickers and glow sticks).
4. Get creative, set up a stage and have a musical evening - play, sing, dance.
5. Ask people to speak about how they can easily save energy in their homes.
6. Present a shadow puppet play or try making shadow puppets with your hands.
7. Build a fire outdoors. Cook spider dogs, toast marshmallows and if you can find
them, write your name w ith sparklers.
8. Have a fright night - Serve popcorn, chips and dip and tell ghost stories.
9. Practice your fire drill, a smoke filled house usually means reduced or no
visibility at all.
10. Take advantage of the peace and quiet and get an early night.
Whatever your plans gather everything you need together in advance, Ensure that your pets are will be safe, put them in their cage, confined to one area of your home or on a leash. Never leave candles unattended. As a precaution have a flashlight and bucket of water at the ready.