Wonderful Wednesday - when it comes to work it is wonderful to show up like a grown up.
Each wonderful Wednesday throughout the month of January will be dedicated to new ways of looking at work. Last week, was about being grateful to have work. In future weeks we will look at:
- It's work, don't play around
- Respect those in authority
- Keep work off your private social media
This week we are focusing on the idea of showing up like a grown up at work.
photo credit: Jeremy Levine Design
via photopin cc wonderful Wednesday, grown up, work, responsibility
A basic reality of life is that many of us must work for a living. Some of us work for others and some of us work for for ourselves. No matter which is the case, the fact remains that we must work to earn a living. When you must work for a living it is important for you to show up like a grown up. Grown ups are responsible, mature and able to handle the responsibilities of work. Look at the following differences between children at work and grown ups at work:
Children at work
- show up just before work starts or late
- play around all day
- refuse to accept any extra assignments
- counter-productive in team tasks
- treat work as if it is a playground
Adults at work
- show up at work station at least 15 minutes before start time
- work throughout the day
- accept extra assignments within reason
- are a valuable part of team assignments
- treat work as if what is being done is important
The economy is improving and in many industries, finding a job is easier today than it has been for quite a while. That does not change the fact that if you want to remain gainfully employed or want to continue operating a successful business, you must, without exception, show up like a grown up everyday and actually work at work. So, the question for you this wonderful Wednesday is what are your tips for showing up like a grown up at work?