One of the most obvious and immediate benefits of paying the fee to become a member of the Project Management Institute (PMI)® revolves around that the fact that members are accorded a discounted rate for taking the exam. But beyond this, what are the additional benefits?
The benefits for members can be significant, starting with ways to support one’s career growth and success. Not only do members have access to members-only resources and information on PMI.org, but they also have access to tools such as PMI’s PathPro, which offers a career framework that will help members assess their skills and determine how best to move forward with one’s career. In addition, membership includes a digital edition of the PMBOK® A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, an invaluable tool for those interested in the latest thinking around various project management topics. Of course, knowledge sharing and networking opportunities with fellow PMI members are also part and parcel of membership, as are leadership and volunteer opportunities through PMI communities, the certification program, the research program, and so on.
Benefits also include a host of ways to stay informed as to the latest cutting edge thinking and ideas in the project management world. These publications include the following:
- PM Network – a monthly publication that covers the project management profession, thought leaders, news and trends.
- PMI Today – a monthly newsletter focused on institute news, events, community activities and a column from the PMI Board of Directors
- Project Management Journal – a peer-reviewed research journal that advances the understanding of project. Program and portfolio management, and is published five times a year
- Community Post – a semimonthly e-newsletter focused on project management knowledge and PMI news
- Manage India – an e-publication focused on the practice of project management for members in India
- Other regional e-newsletter covering PMI activities and news in places such as the Asia Pacific region, Korea, Latin American, Brazil, and the EMEA region
Finally, in addition to discounts on exams and PMP® recertification, members also receive discounts on attendance at PMI’s global congresses and research conference, as well as on project management books, products, and training tools. Other benefits include access to e-learning opportunities, such as PMI e-SeminarsWorld courses, Project Movie, and PMI Publication Quizzes, which are a convenient and cost-effective way to earn the professional development units that are needed to retain one’s PMI credential. Career coaching is also offered with PMI’s job-searching site, the Career Headquarters. And last but not least, members can receive assistance with research and reference services, conducted for them by the staff of the PMI Virtual Library.