This paper model is a Valkyrie airborne assault carrier, based on the game Warhammer 40K. The Valkyrie is a Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) airborne assault carrier used primarily by the Imperial Guard as both a gunship and a transport for airborne combat regiments like Storm Trooper Squads and the Elysian Drop Troops. Despite serving the tactical needs of the Imperial Guard, a Valkyrie and its crew are usually composed of pilots and armsmen drawn from the Imperial Navy and are provided to the Guard on an as-needed basis. When a Valkyrie is expected to be assigned to the Guard for a long-duration assignment, usually to provide air support, the Imperial Navy modifies the aircraft by adding more heavily reinforced armour to better protect it in close firefights with enemy forces. The reinforced armour reduces the Valkyrie’s maximum altitude and range due to the increased use of Promethium fuel, but it makes the Valkyrie a far more robust combat platform when it is carrying out its VTOL transport and gunship roles. The Valkyrie is capable of carrying 12 troops, but cannot carry Ogryns. Valkyries also posses the cargo capacity to carry modified Drop Sentinels, Cyclops Demolition Vehicles or Sentry Guns instead of a complement of Guardsmen, but the added weight requires that they also carry two additional external fuel tanks.
The Valkyrie’s primary armament is a Multi-Laser that is mounted just to the side of the cockpit and two Hellstrike Missiles carried under its wings. The Valkyrie is also equipped with two door-mounted Heavy Bolters that are each manned by one gunner. This weapons load allows the Valkyrie, when using its VTOL capabilities, to stay on station once its troops have been dropped and provide air support or covering support fire during a difficult insertion. The Valkyrie can replace its Multi-Laser with a Lascannon, and can also replace its Hellstrike Missiles with 2 extra external fuel tanks for extended range operations. The aircraft can also be equipped with ejector seats, extra armour for the cockpit, flare or chaff launchers, infra-red targeting systems, and illumination flares. [Source: Wikia]
There are several variants of the Valkyrie in use by the Imperium, including the following:
- Vendetta – The Valkyrie Vendetta is a Valkyrie modified to carry 3 Twin-linked Lascannons which allow it to operate in the role of a dedicated tank buster and anti-armour asset while still mounting the two Heavy Bolters at its doors. Some variants also replace 2 of the Twin-linked Lascannons placed on its wings with 2 Hellfury Missiles instead that are specifically designed to destroy armoured vehicles by unleashing an incendiary fury that cooks the vehicle’s crew within its armoured shell or can be used to drive enemy troops from cover in lieu of their wing-mounted Lascannons.
- Sky Talon – The Valkyrie Sky Talon is a stripped-down Valkyrie modified to carry light vehicles instead of troops. The troop compartment is replaced with magnetic lifting clamps that allow the aircraft to latch-on to light vehicles, such as the Tauros or Drop Sentinels, and drop them from a very low altitude right into the heart of battle.
Known Users of the Valkyrie
- The Imperial Navy – All aircraft in the Imperium fall under the jurisdiction of the Imperial Navy, though they are also provided to the Imperial Guard on an as-needed basis. All Valkyries are flown by experienced Imperial Navy pilots and crews.
- The Imperial Guard – The Imperial Guard are the primary users of the Valkyrie. The Imperial Navy provides Valkyries to Guard regiments when they are needed, many Guard regiments make use of Valkyries. Some regiments, such as those of the Elysian Drop Troops, have Valkyries that are permanently provided to them by the Imperial Navy.
- The Inquisition – The Inquisition’s agents have the ability to requisition any equipment or vehicles they need while on the battlefield from any arm of the Imperial military. Many Inquisitors use Valkyries as personal transports during missions, and the Inquisition has their own permanent Valkyries and pilots that are used to deploy their Storm Troopers into battle.
Notable Users of the Valkyrie
- 2nd Imperial Navy Tactical Wing – Fought in the defence of Cadia during the 13th Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler.
- 22nd Elysian Drop Troop Regiment – Fought during the Yarant III Campaign.
- 64th Elysian Drop Troop Regiment – Took part in the ill-fated Fifth Ymgarl Insertion.
- 123rd Imperial Navy Tactical Wing – Part of “Pursuit Force Fidelis,” during the Battle of Kovalic 479.
- 99th Elysian Drop Troop Regiment, D Company Veterans – Fought against the Tyranids that escaped from a secret Adeptus Mechanicus research facility on Anphelion IV.
- 184th Imperial Navy Tactical Wing – Transported Storm Troopers during Operation Comet, part of the Taros Campaign against the Tau.
- 71st Imperial Navy Tactical Wing – Participated in Operation Deathblow during the Taros Campaign and during the Helion V Campaign.
- 23rd Elysian Drop Troop Regiment – Fought during the Taros Campaign against the Tau.
- 181st Elysian Drop Troop Regiment – Served during the Raid on Kastorel-Novem.
- 5136th Imperial Navy Wing – Supplied 80 Valkyries to aid in the Raid on Kastorel-Novem.
- 226th Elysian Drop Troops Regiment – Fought during the defence of Betalis III against the Eldar of Craftworld Mymeara.
- 205th Imperial Navy Tactical Wing – Inducted into Inquisitorial service by Inquisitor Gruberman during the Tyrama Secondus Campaign.
- Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Tyrus – Used to transport Storm Troopers during the Purging of Gladrinus VI.
- Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Hector Rex – Used to transport Storm Troopers during the Judgement of Hellanus.
You can download the aircraft paper craft model here: Warhammer 40K – Valkyrie Airborne Assault Carrier Free Paper Model Download
For more Warhammer 40K paper models please visit the topic here: Warhammer 40K Free Paper Models Collection Topic