The 12 Most Extravagant Celebrity Weddings
Posted on Mar 11 2012 at 02:27:21 PM in Design
Planning a wedding can be an expensive ordeal for anyone, but for some celebrities, the cost is in the millions rather than the thousands. While some celebrities get married in a low key ceremony, many more flaunt their wealth with extraordinary celebrations that truly define the meaning of luxury. Here are the twelve most extravagant celebrity weddings as well as what made them so upscale and costly.
1. Kate Middleton and Prince William: It should come as no surprise that this royal wedding was the most expensive celebrity wedding to date. Although they are technically now both members of the British royal family, there can be no denying that they are unmistakably celebrities as well. Not only did the bride enjoy lavish luxuries like a seventy thousand dollar dress and nearly one million dollars in floral arrangements, but the costs of police escorts and extra protection in the city was impossible to calculate. Some estimates put the entire cost of the 2011 wedding at roughly thirty million dollars.
2. Liza Minnelli and David Gest: In 2002, Minnelli and Gest wed in what is considered to be the most extravagant and certainly the most expensive celebrity wedding outside of the Royal Family's 2011 celebration. The couple had their ceremony in the Marble Collegiate Church in the heart of Manhattan, causing New York City traffic to come to a standstill and over five hundred guests got in and out of their limousines with a huge crowd of photographers. With a best man like Michael Jackson and guests including Mia Farrow, Elizabeth Taylor and Diana Ross, the four million dollar wedding was the biggest celebrity event in years. Sadly, despite entertainment by Tony Bennett and thousands of dollars in wedding favors for guests, the marriage ended in less than a year.
3. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills: The two weddings already making the list were very public and photographed celebrations. However, when McCartney and Mills wed, the whole affair was much more private. Exclusivity comes at a cost, however, with the expenses coming in around four million dollars. The 2002 wedding took place in a stunning Irish castle, with many invitees from both entertainment and political backgrounds.
4. Elizabeth Hurley and Arun Nayar: This celebrity couple made sure to step up the celebrations by having not one but two weddings, along with half a dozen parties for their guests on two different continents. The wedding began in the Sudeley Castle in England, where over three hundred guests were invited. Then the couple flew to India, where more than a week's worth of parties surrounded the second formal wedding ceremony, costing the couple over two and a half million dollars in total.
5. Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise: This celebrity couple wed in a fairy tale style celebration at the Odescalchi Castle, which is over six hundred years old. The reception after the ceremony was nearby overlooking the stunning Lake Bracciano, one of Italy's most beautiful and scenic destinations. With a guest list including the likes of Will Smith, Jennifer Lopez and David Beckham, the wedding was star studded and cost in the neighborhood of two million dollars. No expense was spared, including luxurious accommodations for each guest a stunning Armani dress for Holmes.
6. Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman: The wedding ceremony for these two music industry moguls cost an estimated two million dollars. Thanks to creating a winter wonderful themed wedding in Napa Valley, luxurious suites and lavish favors, guests certainly were not disappointed. The couples accommodations alone cost nearly four thousand dollars a night, and they splurged for the rooms for all the guests and family as well.
7. Eddie Murphy and Nicole Mitchell: Adjusted for inflation, this wedding ceremony and reception might come closer to the top of the list. The nuptials, which took place in 1993, started with a formal ceremony in the New York Plaza Hotel. While the ceremony itself was undeniably expensive, the real costs were associated with the lavish evening meal at the Palm Court for their large party of guests. No expense was spared as the guests dined on the most expensive menu items available, including lobster and hundreds of bottles of Cristal champagne. Despite the lavish wedding, the couple split up since their wedding and have both remarried.
8. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas: This couple wed in 1998 in the New York Plaza Hotel, and enjoyed a truly lavish celebrity wedding. Although the venue, food and drinks were spectacular, what will be remembered most is the entertainment. During the ceremony a Welsh choir of forty performed, and during the reception the likes of Jimmy Buffet and Art Garfunkel serenaded guests. Zeta-Jones was a stunning bride in her lace Christian Lacroix gown. The total wedding was in the range of one and a half million dollars.
9. Elton John and David Furnish: This celebrity wedding took place in 2005 at the Windsor's Guildhall, one of the most exclusive venues in the entire United Kingdom. In fact, it was the same location as Camilla Parker Bowles and Prince Charles were wed. Over six hundred guests were invited to celebrate the couple's nuptials in what would be one of the biggest celebrity wedding in the United Kingdom for years. One of the biggest expenses was the vintage pink champagne which was free flowing for guests during the entire reception party.
10. Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt: Despite the couple's very public split several years after their 2000 wedding, the festivities are still one of the most lavish and exclusive Hollywood weddings to date. Unlike many celebrity couples who flock to upscale churches and castle for the big day, Aniston and Pitt instead chose to transform a backyard in Malibu into a stunning display of candles and white flowers. The backyard reception was anything but ordinary, however, thanks to several bands, a choir and even fireworks to close the evening. In total, the couple spent an estimated one million dollars for the event.
11. Donald Trump and Melania Klauss: The real estate mogul Trump married model Klauss in a truly elaborate affair near his Palm Beach, Florida home in 2005. The ceremony itself took place in a rather ordinary Episcopalian Church, by bride's gown was anything but ordinary. Weighing well over fifty pounds, the Christian Dior dress was designed just for Klauss and came in over one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars. The couple held their reception at home with guests, enjoying a luxurious meal that ended with hundreds of bottles of Cristal champagne.
12. David and Victoria Beckham: As soccer royalty and a pop and fashion princess, it should not be a shocker than the Beckham wedding was one of the most extravagant in celebrity history. Much like true royalty, the couple wed in Luttrellstown Castle just outside of Dublin, Ireland. While the venue rental was a staggering one hundred thousand dollars, the bride's custom designed Vera Wang wedding gown was unbelievably the very same price. When asked recently if the bride would have preferred to a smaller wedding, she replied that if anything, it was too small, despite the eight hundred thousand dollar price tag.
All of these extravagant wedding had some amazing and beautiful invitations. Digby & Rose is a custom design and print shop in Washington DC that offers some of the most beautiful wedding invitations for your special day.