Paleo diet allows pepper. Plant used as spice. Pepper throughout history influenced in the discovery of the New World, used as spice, currency and medicine. The third most used ingredient in the world is pepper. Pepper originated in Kerala, India. Kerala, India known for its twin monsoon rain produces supreme peppercorn plants. In India pepper not only used as spice but respected for its digestive stimulus and expectorant qualities. Used externally to relieve skin afflictions and hives.
Because of the spice trade the Portuguese explorer, Vasco da Gama and his crew landed in Calcutta, India in 1498. This was the first direct sea voyage from Europe to Asia. Shortly, there after other European trading companies followed.
Western European countries the spice trade was lucrative and competitive. The Spaniards wanted to acquire peppercorns and other exotic spices. Christopher Columbus sent to find a route to the Indies via the west. Instead of finding a route to India Christopher Columbus found the Americas. Trying to convince his financial supporters that he had succeeded, he named the natives of the new world, Indians and their chile "red" pepper. Christopher Columbus did not discover a new spice route but a New World and his newly named red pepper.
History has shown that the peppercorn has been used as a condiment and currency. In Europe pepper was used mainly for food. In the Middle Ages European meats was heavily salted with pepper for preservation and to kill the stench of decay. Pepper was expensive and was used in lieu of money for rent, dowry and taxes. Then pepper was referred to as, "peppercorn rent". Because there was not enough pepper it became associated with gold. Today, poor families in Asia save pepper as a commodity. Pepper did not become affordable to the common man until the 19th century. Prior to that time only the rich could afford pepper. We never consider that the fruits of the peppercorn and other spices were a factor in shaping world history. Pepper was not only a spice but centuries ago a commodity so valuable that it was called, "Black Gold".
Types of Pepper
Pepper is usually used in all main meals. Enjoy Paleo Chicken Stir Fry Recipe and Paleo Beef Spinach Salad Recipes. Mother Nature Recipes gluten, dairy, soy and preservative free.
Paleo Chicken Stir Fry Recipes
- 1 pound boneless chicken cutlets
- 1//2 pound broccoli florets
- 1/4 pound red bell peppers
- 1/4 pound fresh carrots (cut at diameter)
- 1/4 pound finely chopped chives
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tspn sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tspn black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Sauté chicken cutlets in pan coated with coconut oil.
- Sauté chicken cutlets on both sides until thoroughly cooked.
- Set thoroughly cooked chicken aside.
- In separate frying pan coated with coconut oil. When oil hot add broccoli, sliced red pepper, cut carrots, chives and garlic. Simmer vegetables until tender then add chicken cutlets, sea salt and pepper.
- Mix all ingredients well and serve
Paleo Beef and Spinach Salad
Quick easy Paleo Salad be creative add cherry tomatoes and or sliced cucumbers.
- 1 pound washed/drained chopped spinach or baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- ½ pound sliced beef
- ½ cup cashew, sesame seeds or pine nuts (preservative free)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- grounded black pepper (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tbspn coconut oil
- In medium saucepan place coconut oil over medium heat. Stir ingredients until lightly toasted.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Paleo Balsamic Dressing Recipe:
In small bowl combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey.
Paleo DietOrder: Paleo Recipe Cookbooks Paleo Nutritious Recipes What Is Paleo Diet