Or, Are Coincidences Not Coincidences ?
Posted on Apr 13 2012 at 08:16:11 AM in Society & Culture
Do you believe coincidences are meaningful signs in life? For my part, I’m confused and divided about that. On the other hand, more and more people believe that there are no coincidences; but creations of our mental powers. As an instance of coincidence, the following is really impressive: “On July 28th 1900, the King of Italy Umberto I was having dinner in a restaurant in the city of Monza. It turned out later that the restaurant's owner looked identical to the king. The restaurant owner's name was Umberto, his wife's name was the same as the queen's and the restaurant was opened on the same date as the king's inauguration. The Restaurant-owner Umberto was shot dead the next day. So was King Umberto.” (Reference: Dailycognition)
That’s really interesting to me. These days I’m looking through some books and websites dealing with this topic. I want to share with you whatever I have at my hand here. If you contribute to this discussion with your comments here, I’d be grateful. According to Quantum-self.com; “Nothing really happens “by chance.” We actually CREATE what we call <<coincidence.>> When does coincidence happen in our lives? Stop and think about it. When you are focused on something and it has a priority in your life, little coincidences just seem to occur. This is often said to be the Law of Attraction in action. This works no matter what you’re focused on. If you’re focused on worry and fear, or anger and frustration — you will see *coincidence events* reflecting what you are worried about. Worry is actually negative goal setting. The classic example is someone who is looking for success, but just can’t achieve their goals. They might be focused on their goal, and that seems like a good thing. But their unconscious mind might be filled to overflowing with negative thoughts and beliefs. So what happens? They create negative *coincidence events* that sabotage their efforts. Self-defeating situations are inevitable when your mind is focused focus on fear, worry, or the concept of being somehow limited. Negative outcomes don’t just happen in our lives. They occur when we refuse to pay attention to warning signs of a probable negative outcome. The same is true for the Law of Attraction.” By the summary of the topic above, our minds and focusing power can help turning our wishes come true unless we avoid thinking of negative aspects and keeping clear of our worries. Wow, that looks like secret to success in life, huh? Like I said earlier, One part of me says it makes sense(our mind power’s positive transformation ability);another part keeps saying; ”C’mon…if everything were so easy by mental power, life would be a care-free and easier for everybody. But, look around you…Wars and conflicts all around the world tend to escalate…So this mental power thing is off the reality, man!” By the way, did you notice that my second part plays the part of creator of negative outcomes? So this theory actually seems to be true…If I listen to my second (negative) side, I will not be able to avoid my fears and worries…and..consequently, the results of my decisions will turn out to be negative ones; However, if I can clear my mind of my negative side; so I will be able to make it!. Now let’s try to find out some proofs to support it. Focus on thinking of something you really wanted to attain to or you really wanted to have? For me, I can say I wanted to be rich in the past (No I did not give it up, I still want it :) ) Eventually, I could not be rich. So that means I had negative results of the decisions I made. In other words, I could not focus on the positive mind thinking; but I gave in to worries or negatives assumptions. A guy might want to marry the girl he has crush on. If he can do it, he is a god positive mind thinker (If not, he’s a scaredy cat!) When we look back in history, we see way interesting coincidences (or non-coincidences for others).For example; “The British actor Anthony Hopkins [who shot to fame as Hannibal Lecter] was delighted to hear that he had landed a leading role in a film based on the book The Girl From Petrovka by George Feifer. A few days after signing the contract, Hopkins travelled to London to buy a copy of the book. He tried several bookshops, but there wasn't one to be had. Waiting at Leicester Square underground for his train home, he noticed a book apparently discarded on a bench. Incredibly, it was The Girl From Petrovka. That in itself would have been coincidence enough but in fact it was merely the beginning of an extraordinary chain of events. Two years later, in the middle of filming in Vienna, Hopkins was visited by George Feifer, the author. Feifer mentioned that he did not have a copy of his own book. He had lent the last one - containing his own annotations - to a friend who had lost it somewhere in London. With mounting astonishment, Hopkins handed Feifer the book he had found. 'Is this the one?' he asked, 'with the notes scribbled in the margins?' It was the same book. “ (Reference: Dailycognition.com) What do you think of this thing Mr.Hopkines experienced. Could all these happenings called “mere coincidences”? Let’s continue real life example below: “A British officer, Major Summerford, while fighting in the fields of Flanders in February 1918 was knocked off his horse by a flash of lightning and paralyzed from the waist down. Summerford retired and moved to Vancouver. One day in 1924, as he fished alongside a river, lightning hit the tree he was sitting under and paralyzed his right side. Two years later Summerford was sufficiently recovered that he was able to take walks in a local park. He was walking there one summer day in 1930 when a lightning bolt smashed into him, permanently paralyzing him. He died two years later. But lightning sought him out one last time. Four years later, during a storm, lightning struck a cemetery and destroyed a tombstone. The deceased buried here? Major Summerford. “(Reference: Dailycognition) And one last example:
“ Lincoln and J.F. Kennedy
- Both presidents had 7 letters in their last name.
- Both were over 6' feet tall.
- Both men studied law.
- Both seemed to have lazy eye muscles, which would sometimes cause one to deviate.
- Both suffered from genetic diseases. It is suspected that Lincoln had Marfan's disease, and Kennedy suffered from Addison's disease.
- Both served in the military. Lincoln was a scout captain in the Black Hawk War, and Kennedy served as a navy lieutenant in World War II.
- Both were boat captains. Lincoln was a skipper for the Talisman, a Mississippi River boat, and Kennedy was skipper of the PT 109.
- Both had no fear of their mortality and disdained bodyguards.
- Both often stated how easy it would be to shoot the president. Lincoln supposedly said, "If somebody wants to take my life, there is nothing I can do to prevent it." Kennedy supposedly said "If somebody wants to shoot me from a window with a rifle, nobody can stop it." Note that both these quotes are each 16 words long.
- Both presidents were shot in the head, on a Friday.
- Both were seated beside their wives when shot. Neither Mrs. Lincoln nor Mrs. Kennedy was injured. Both wives held the bullet-torn heads of their husbands.
- In each case, the man was injured but not fatally. Major Henry Rathbone was slashed by a knife, and Governor John Connolly was shot.
- Lincoln sat in Box 7 at Ford's Theatre. Kennedy rode in car 7 in the Dallas motorcade.
- Lincoln was shot at Ford's Theatre. Kennedy was shot in a Ford product, a Lincoln limousine.
- Both assassins used three names: John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald. (It should be noted that Lee Harvey Oswald was known as just Lee Oswald prior to the assassination.)
- There are 15 letters in each assassin's name.
- Both assassins struck when in their mid-twenties. Booth was born in 1838, and Oswald was born in 1939.” (Reference: Dailycognition)
How come could so many coincidences occur for those two people? If this theory is true, so why do people prefer on negative-minded thinking given there exists wars in our world? So what do you think now?