This airplane paper model is a Kawanishi H8K (Type 2 Large-sized Flying Boat), an Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) flying boat used during World War II for maritime patrol duties, created by IPPC. The Allied reporting name for the type was “Emily“.
The Kawanishi H8K entered production in 1941 and first saw operational use on the night of 4 March 1942 in a second raid on Pearl Harbor. Since the target lay out of range for the flying boats, this audacious plan involved a refuelling by submarine at French Frigate Shoals, some 550 miles north-west of Hawaii, en route. Two planes from the Yokohama Kokutai (Naval Air Corps) attempted to bomb Pearl Harbor, but, due to poor visibility, did not accomplish any significant damage.
Six days after the second Pearl harbor raid one of the Emilys was sent on a daylight photo-recon mission of Midway Atoll. It was intercepted by radar directed Brewster Buffalo fighters of Marine Corps squadron VMF-221 and shot down. All aboard were killed includng Lt. Hashizume Hisao, the lead pilot of the second Pearl Harbor raid.
H8K2s were used on a wide range of patrol, reconnaissance, bombing, and transport missions throughout the Pacific war. The H8K2 was given the Allied code name “Emily”. [Source: wiki]
- Crew: 10
- Length: 28.15 m (92 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 38.00 m (124 ft 8 in)
- Height: 9.15 m (30 ft)
- Wing area: 160 m² (1,721 ft²)
- Empty weight: 18,380 kg (40,436 lb)
- Loaded weight: 24,500 kg (53,900 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 32,500 kg (71,500 lb)
- Powerplant: 4 × Mitsubishi Kasei 22 radial engines, 1,380 kW (1,850 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 465 km/h (290 mph)
- Range: 7,150 km (4,440 mi)
- Service ceiling: 8,760 m (28,740 ft)
- Rate of climb: 8.1 m/s (1,600 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 153 kg/m² (31 lb/ft²)
- Power/mass: 0.22 kW/kg (0.14 hp/lb)
- 5× 20 mm Type 99 cannon
- 5× 7.7 mm (.303 in) Type 97 machine guns in fuselage hatches
- Bombs: 2× 800 kg (1,764 lb) torpedoes or 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) of bombs or depth charges
- Mark VI Model 1 ASV radar
You can download the paper model here: Kawanishi H8K Free Airplane Paper Model Download