Chicken Marbella is a classic healthy easy recipe that mixes sweet, salty, and tart flavors, in a delicious blend that is a delight for your taste buds. The recipe combines prunes, garlic, capers, olives, and herbs. This seemingly complex dish can be cooked in less than 1 hour. For best taste, allow the chicken to marinate overnight, however marinating for 3 to 4 hours will be just fine.
The Chicken Marbella recipe also requires the skin to be left on the chicken quarters. I recommend trimming any extra fat, and excess skin from the chicken quarters. Though chicken with the skin is a good source of protein and niacin, and low in sodium, chicken skin is high in cholesterol and trans fats. Trimming the excess skin will limit the amount of cholesterol you ingest. I also like to soak the chicken in water, with fresh squeeze lemon juice. Not only does the lemon juice cut the fresh taste of the chicken, it also emulsifies the fat.
This healthy easy recipe contains garlic, prunes, bay leaf, capers, and olives, which are all low in cholesterol and saturated fat.
Chicken Marbella: Ingredients
- Garlic is low in sodium and is a good source of manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C, calcium, selenium, and phosphorus.
- Prunes are also low in sodium and rich in vitamin K, and represent a good source of dietary fiber.
- Bay leaf is low in sodium and a good source of calcium and manganese, iron, folate and dietary fiber. It is also rich in vitamins A, C, and B6.
- Olives are great sources of vitamin E.
- Capers contain vitamins A, C, E, K, and dietary fiber. In addition, capers contain iron, copper, niacin, manganese, riboflavin, protein, a great source of folate, and calcium. Folate is a water-soluble vitamin B that occurs naturally in food. Both olives and capers are high in sodium, so moderation is key. Keep this in mind when adding salt during seasoning. You don’t want to ruin this healthy easy recipe by making it too salty.
Chicken Marbella: Step-by-Step Directions
- 2 chickens, 2 1/2 lbs each, quartered, skin-on
- 1/2 cup of pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup of capers with a bit of juice
- 8 large pitted Spanish green olives, cut in half
- 1/2 head of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper ( to your taste)
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
1) In a large container with the chicken pieces, combine garlic, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, olive oil, prunes, green olives, capers with caper juice, and vinegar. Make sure the chicken is coated completely with the marinade. Cover and, let it marinate, refrigerated overnight, or for three to four hours.
2) Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Arrange the marinated Chicken Marbella in a single layer, in a large shallow baking pan, and spoon on the marinade evenly. Sprinkle the Chicken Marbella pieces with brown sugar, and pour the ¼ cup of white wine around them.
3) Bake the Chicken Marbella for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting it frequently with the pan juices.
4) With a slotted spoon, transfer the baked chicken, prunes, olives, and capers, to a serving platter. Add some of the pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or cilantro. Serve the remaining juice in gravy.
Chicken Marbella Final Words
The Chicken Marbella can be served with egg noodles or quinoa, and a side salad. As you can see, this healthy easy recipe was cooked under an hour. It perfectly suit someone with a buy schedule
Yield: Makes 5 to 8 servings.
Author Bio: Kodjo Hounnake is a home fitness enthusiast who believes the average person can get and remain in great shape right at home. You do not need expensive gym equipment to achieve the body of your dreams. Your body weight is sufficient enough. See the hundreds of home workout videos and health tips on my home fitness blog.