Granola Bar Recipe: Healthy Snacks: Sweet Treats: Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Vegan, Raw
This granola bar recipe is quick and easy to make. As well as being packed full of highly nutritious super foods it will satisfy a sweet tooth, but isn't sickly, and is the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy. It is an amazingly delicious AND healthy treat, and can even be crumbled up and eaten with yoghurt for a more substantial snack, although it is quite filling by itself. It can be kept raw or lightly baked for a bit of extra crunch.
Makes a huge tray full, can be cut up into bars.
2 cups dry-rolled oats (gluten free)
2 cups dry-rolled buckwheat flakes
¼ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup flax seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
¼ cup cashew nuts, roughly chopped
¼ cup brazil nuts, roughly chopped
¼ cup almonds, roughly chopped
½ cup sultanas
3 dried dates, chopped small
8 dried apricots, chopped
¾ cup peanut butter
½ cup maple syrup or honey
- If you are going to bake the granola bar, preheat oven to medium-high heat. Line a large, deep oven proof dish or baking tray with baking paper, or grease it.
- In a large bowl place 2 cups dry-rolled oats, 2 cups buckwheat flakes, ¼ cup hemp seeds, ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup flax seeds (also known as linseed), ¼ cup sunflower seeds, 2 tablespoons chia seed ¼ cup roughly chopped cashew nuts, ¼ cup roughly chopped brazil nuts, ¼ cup roughly chopped almonds, ½ cup sultanas, 3 chopped dates, 8 chopped apricots. Mix ingredients thoroughly using hands.
- If you want to add extra ingredients do so now, for example raw cacao nibs, coconut chips, dark chocolate chunks, other dried fruits, seeds, nuts, etc.
- Place ¾ cup peanut butter (or another nut butter, or combination of nut butters of your choosing) in a separate bowl, over a pan of just boiled water, allowing it to melt.
- Meanwhile, add ½ cup maple syrup or honey to the granola mixture, mixing in thoroughly.
- When sufficiently melted pour peanut butter into the mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- You may need to add more peanut butter and maple syrup/honey a little at a time until everything is thoroughly coated and mixed together, and is sticky and moist.
- Put the mixture in the oven proof dish or baking tray. Press it down with the palms of your hands, compacting it together into a solid, flat layer.
- For a raw granola bar, place in fridge to set for approximately an hour. Alternatively place on low-middle shelf of oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until the top starts to turn a light golden colour. Remove from oven and leave to cool.