Getting Ready for the Trip into Canada (Part2)
In my previous blog post, I discussed bringing your gun into Canada, and discussed the CAFC 909 form. I also suggested that preparing ahead is highly recommended for your hunting trip. There are some other tips and forms that can be helpful, and they've been included below.
So what is to be done prior to entering Canada?
1. Download the declaration. Here is a link: CAFC 909 Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Download
- Fill out three copies.
- DO NOT sign the Form(s).
- Leave blank areas on the form that you don't understand.
2. If you have more than 3 guns download: Continuation sheet (CAFC 910)
- A visa is not required for U.S. citizens to visit Canada for up to 180 days. Anyone seeking to enter Canada for any purpose other than a visit (e.g. to work, study or immigrate) must qualify for the appropriate entry status
- Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency officials
- Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity
- A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens
- Children under 18 must present proof of citizenship and identity.
- U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid U.S. passport
- Note* If entering the USA after a visit to Canada, you will need a Passport or Enhanced Drivers License! If flying, only a passport will be accepted.
4. Warning: If you have been arrested at any time, to include DUI, read the earlier post regarding criminal issues and crossing the Canadian border
Other Customs Forms and Answers to Questions You Haven't Yet Asked
- Prior to Departing the United States, it's important that U.S. hunters complete Customs Form 4457 to register firearms or other high value items with US Customs. Stop at American Customs prior to entering Canada. DO NOT BRING FIREARMS INTO THE CUSTOMS STATION UNLESS REQUESTED
- The form may be processed ahead of time and remains valid for re-importation of the registered articles for as long as the document is legible.
- The certificate is not transferable. It takes only minutes to complete.
- Customs will require make, model, and serial number. You can contact the regional U.S. Customs office in your region and arrange to have this done prior to your trip.
Try to do this ahead, because if you must stop at U.S. Customs on the day of crossing it can add anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to your crossing time!
Contact Us From Anywhere in the U.S.
(952)525-2285 ♦ firstname.lastname@example.org
Satveer Chaudhary is the founding lawyer of Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC. In practice over 10 years Chaudhary brings 14 years of legislative experience as a State Senator and Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives to each and every case
Satveer S. Chaudhary is a lifelong sportsman and former wildlife and conservation policy- maker. As an attorney, he represents hunting and fishing organizations, businesses, individual hunters and anglers, and serves on the board of Safari Club International. He has worked in a variety of capacities with National Association of Sportsmen Caucuses, NRA, Ducks Unlimited, and Pheasants Forever. He knows the law because he helped make it.
The information provided is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as and does not constitute legal advice. Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC does not seek to represent you based upon your review of this brochure. You should not make legal hiring decisions based merely upon brochures, advertising or other promotional materials.